06 September 2005

Graduation

YAY, Today, I graduated from my Undergraduate degree. So, now I have my Bachelor of Business (Management Information Systems) degree.

At first I though I would have not been at my ceremony with many people I know, however there were quite a few people there, so I was happy as I got to catch up with some old friends, and did not have to spend a whole heap of time alone :-P

However, I have to include my little complaining slant on life, and well graduations are a good target for this. As I am aware, university graduations are meant to be very prestigious and ceremonial. However my university tend to destroy all of this with their usual lack of detail, clutching for money, and ability to deal with people in it’s tight & bulk natured procedural manner. I say, bring back the pageantry and prestige to graduations, make a huge song and dance about it, make people feel special about the graduation, and tell people the story and meaning behind graduations.

However, This is just me complaining, I was, in fact, so excited / happy / nervous that when I went to get my award I was in an auto pilot mode that I did not realise what I was doing and therefore cannot remember much of what I was doing.

As I am continuing on my studies at university I guess the ceremony did not involve the normal amount of excitement that would be usually experienced at a graduation ceremony, celebrating the end of studies. Although this also links back to my previous issue concerning the lack of pageantry, If I were to graduate at the start of the year, I would graduate some 4 ish months after I finish my coursework.

Anyhoo, here comes the spooky part of my graduation, I decide to pay a somewhat exorbitant amount of money to have my parchment framed (The frame had the universities logo on it, cool hey). Specifically, I decided to have it framed in what I thought was tortishell wood. However I went to the Hogs Breath Café at Glenelg to celebrate my graduation with my parents (they also went to the ceremony), there I had a Stake (medium rare, I was good and did not destroy it to the usual level I have it overcooked) with a Hickory Smoked Sauce.

Now, I was amazed when I was eating the stake, I felt something very familiar, extremely familiar, then it hit me, the stake tasted like my parchment frame (no I have not tasted my frame, but the scene of smell and taste are closely linked and I had previously been dreading the pungent smell the frame was giving off.) After a little research, I found out that the wood is actually advertised as a walnut wood, not a hickory wood, I was upset. Astonishingly, when writing this, through my research I found out the Hickory Tree belongs to the walnut family, So there is a strong link, and maybe the frame is actually made from Hickory wood.

Anyway, enough gabbling from me for now…. Pictures shall accompany this blog soon I guess.

Cheerio

2 Comments:

  • At 1:29 pm, Blogger reverendtimothy said…

    Hahaha, that's the best story about a Steak I've ever heard! Spooky!

    Congratulations on your graduation! :-D

     
  • At 1:38 pm, Blogger Ne-Wo said…

    Thanks mate :-)

    Yeah, it was spooky, I usually do not like pungent artificial smells as I get mild allergic reactions to smells. So after eating my stake I found it amazing that the smell was not artificial, It still gave me a bit of a head ache when I got back in the car and smelt the frame to see wether it aligned with the stake. But good news, since hanging it next to my bed, the smell has gone, so no sleepless nights for me due to my award frame (I can blame the sleepless nights on other things :-P)

    Oh, another god part about the stake story, It only took them literally 4 minutes from ordering our stakes to them delivering them to the table, Amazing!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home