15 November 2005

Uni, ARGH!!

Life has been meh for me over recently.. I have been writing things down just to get my mind around things, and to vent my issues. I don’t know whether this is productive, or counterproductive.

If you have ever been around me, you would know I am a very reflective person. If you have been around me long enough you would have heard me utter the statement “oh well… I hate life.” I usually say this a-couple of times a day, sometimes dozens of times a day. I even reflect and regret on things that I did when I was 4 years old. I guess I’m just too self critical. So maybe writing things down is bad… hmmm…

Anyway, I think I’ll share one of my multiple areas of angst I have at the moment, university.

This year my university has been awful. At the start of the year I was placed in an industry placement. Whilst working I was not supervised very much, nor did I feal like I was valued by the organisation, or those in the organisation. This time was not enjoyable at all.

Also, my university has a huge push at the moment for students to complete work in groups, I think this has taken a huge tool on me. This semester only 6% of my grades for work during the semester were for work done by myself. Having so much group work means I have totally lost any motivation to work, I have forgotten how to push myself, what my limits are, who I am in terms of learning, why I should work and how to work. All in all I do not know, at the moment, who I am and my work at university is not assisting me in finding anything out myself, which I would think would usually be part of an education . Oh how do I wish for some uni work to be done by myself.

Some of my subjects at uni this year have been awful. I have to say, if I were an employer, I would never look at anyone from UniSA with a masters degree and value them above someone who had an undergraduate degree from the university. The majority of subjects are just a repetition of undergraduate subjects. The students they have doing masters subjects have been selected, on what I would believe to be, solely on the fact that they have money. The university in my mind is a expensive babysitting service that gives a piece of paper at the end of its customers stay so they can pretend they have done something constructive whilst being babysat.

Al in all, uni sucks, its eating at me, its wasting my time, it has put me further into debt, it has detracted from my life, it has hurt my potential, its hurting who I am. If I were to have my time again, I would not do what I am doing now.

Enough said about that I guess, they are a couple of my issues, not all of them. However on a lighter note regarding uni, Today I discovered the perfect excuse for not doing study. After doing some work, I shut the book I had been using for a couple of hours, and to my surprise a white tailed spider climbed out of the book. I find this an ample excuse to avoid going close to anything exam related.

Oh well, that’s enough from me for now.

6 Comments:

  • At 2:54 am, Blogger reverendtimothy said…

    I hear ya about Uni.

    Some advice from someone who is just about finished the exact same course you're doing? Try not to let it get to you too much - it'll all be over before you know it. Once this hurdle is out of the way, the rest of it flies by. :-)

    ... Did you get a photo of the spider?!

     
  • At 10:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey there ne-wo,
    hang in there. i think we all have experienced crappy placements (hey im doing one now!) and i know how much they really can drag you down and make uni seem so valueless, so i hope that your next placement you will enjoy a lot more. Plus, with the next placement being a group one i can assure you that it will be better as having fellow students there with you really helps you get thru it :)

    and 'hear-hear' for the uni remarks. they really are just a baby sitting service as any futurama fan would know :)

     
  • At 7:37 pm, Blogger Ne-Wo said…

    nah, overall unisa is screwed. It is just not limmited to one subject, they are all starting to beome awfull.

    The upcoming placements dont look to be all that good. CN has really screwed us over.

    I dobut anything uni related will improve.. Along with evrything else :/

     
  • At 11:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm sorry to hear that things aren't going well. Let me know if you want me to raise any concerns with people at UniSA - I can do so without any mention of where the complaints came from, and I think they need to know about problems.

     
  • At 2:07 am, Blogger Ne-Wo said…

    Thanks for the offer for help bilby. I might skip it for now.

    I don’t think I could single out one single person at uni who is at fault. I don’t even think one subject is to blame as Tim suggested. As girlfrommars has hinted, this is the way others believe universities are heading. I would probably say that our uni is progressing much faster.

    Although, I have to point out that there are still some parts of uni that are enjoyable and valuable.

     
  • At 12:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No problems, then, I'll leave it for now. Although, while I agree that there is a uni-wide problem, I also think that there is a more specific problem with the Masters programs. And I'm aware that at least some people hope to fix that. The central problem (to me, anyway) being that the one Masters is supposed to serve both as a traditional Masters and as what was traditionally called a Graduate Certificate. I'm not sure that this combo can ever work, as it means that you have two groups of students with very different skills and aims - much as you have described. But then, I'm not involved in the Masters programs anyway. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home